At Nielsen Sports, we’re monitoring the online trends across social media as COVID-19 continues to impact the sport and entertainment landscape with events being postponed and cancelled across the globe. Athletes, teams and leagues are finding new and creative ways to engage with fans and throughout this period, we’ll be putting together a social media best practice snapshot-list for you. Keep up to speed with the best initiatives close to real-time.
Brand Led Initiatives:
- Reebok is urging its customers to recognize someone they know who is working on the front lines of the pandemic through a #ReebokLove program. Consumers can nominate a “hero in your community” to receive a free pair of shoes
- NBA, WNBA Stores Selling Team-Branded Face Masks For Coronavirus Relief Charities. For every mask purchased, Industry Rag will donate one to Feeding America and Second Harvest, while FOCO will donate money to both organizations.
Donations and Community Support led by teams, athletes & bodies:
- NTT Pro Cycling is proud to initiate ‘Be Moved’: a call to action to open our hearts to the humanity around us, as the world is currently gripped with the unprecedented impact of the Covid-19 pandemic
- UFC has officially joined the Fanatics – All In Challenge, which aims to be the world’s largest digital fundraiser in history by raising tens of millions of dollars to feed those in need during COVID-19
- FIFA player’s have all provided their support to humanity’s heroes by applauding their efforts in taking on the fight to battle coronavirus
- Manchester United legends reached out to elderly fans with surprise phone calls during the COVID-19 crisis as part of the ongoing #AlwaysUnited
Creative ways Rights Holders & Athletes are engaging their fan bases:
- The organisers of the only ATP Masters 1000 and WTA Premier Mandatory have announced the creation of the Mutua Madrid Open Virtual Pro, an innovative tournament that reproduces the tennis competition virtually, pitting the best tennis players in the world against each other from their homes
- Watch Martial Artists from One Championship social-distance super fight
- FC Bayern keeps fans engaged by photoshopping videos of past games to their blank TV screens
Go to Social Media Update #1 Go to Social Media Update #2 Go to Social Media Update #3 Go to Social Media Update #4 Go to Social Media Update #5 Go to Social Media Update #6 Go to Social Media Update #8 Go to Social Media Update #9 Go to Social Media Update #10