At Nielsen Sports, we’re monitoring the online trends across social media as COVID-19 continues to impact the sport and entertainment landscape with events being postponed and cancelled across the globe. Athletes, teams and leagues are finding new and creative ways to engage with fans and throughout this period, we’ll be putting together a social media best practice snapshot-list for you. Keep up to speed with the best initiatives close to real-time.
Brand Led Initiatives:
- Visa launched a campaign during the NFL Draft focusing on small businesses that have been hard hit by the effects of COVID-19
- Hyundai Motor UK and Chelsea FC have teamed up to create a new content series called ‘Home Advantage’ that will help aspiring footballers throughout the UK to develop their skills at home
- Global celebrities join SAP for virtual take your kid to work day #SAP4KIDS. Former Harlem Globetrotter and WNBA player Joyce Ekworomadu shared their experiences
- Olympics sponsor Toyota pivots from the postponed Tokyo2020 medal ceremonies, to award the everyday heroes battling COVID-19 instead
Donations and Community Support led by teams, athletes & bodies:
- Harry Kane got in touch with Colin Grainger, who made his #ThreeLions debut 64 years ago last Saturday and is currently being looked after by care workers during these difficult times
- Steve Cook reaches out to six year old fan Luca running 100 miles to raise money for the NHS
- Aston Villa club ambassador Ian Taylor checks up on fans over 80
Creative ways Rights Holders & Athletes are engaging their fan bases:
- Formula E is back for Round 2 of the Marbula E racing series in partnership with Jelle’s Marble Runs. Watch as 12 ABB Formula E teams go marble-to-marble in Seoul
- The 2020 NFL Team Schedules were released and the Panthers & Chargers were creative in their approaches
- FC Schalke is calling all Premier League Fans for support!
Go to Social Media Update #1 Go to Social Media Update #2 Go to Social Media Update #3 Go to Social Media Update #4 Go to Social Media Update #5 Go to Social Media Update #6 Go to Social Media Update #7 Go to Social Media Update #9 Go to Social Media Update #10